PAVILION “FARM” IN TYARLEVO
Let’s reveal a little secret, the gardens of the Russian Museum have a small piece of territory in Tyarlevo, the area is about 0.5 hectares.
The Farm Pavilion was built at the request of Empress Maria Feodorovna in 1802-1803 on the site of Kantakouzena’s dacha. For three months in the summer of 1802, the architect Andrei Voronikhin rebuilt the main building of the dacha into a pavilion, and also built a number of outbuildings: a poultry house, stables, and a glacier. A pond was dug on the territory of the farm, trees were planted.
The two-storey building of the pavilion consists of two volumes: an octagonal one and a quadrangular one attached to it. From architect Voronikhin to the revolution, the lower vestibule was preserved unchanged, from where a single-flight oak staircase with thin balusters led to the second floor. There were also wooden sofas covered with oil paint.
By 1833, the building of the Farm pavilion fell into disrepair. In 1834, the building was rebuilt according to the design of the architect Carl Rossi in the false Gothic style. From the former building of Voronikhin, only the walls, which have become higher, and the interior of the lower vestibule remain. In 1836, a cast-iron balcony was placed on the southern facade of the pavilion, cast at the Alexander iron foundry. Climbing the stairs to the second floor, from the quadrangular room, visitors entered the octagonal hall, which was furnished with furniture made in the workshop of Shtrom “in the Gothic chair”, consisting of chairs, tables, and a screen. Between the entrance door and the door leading to the balcony, there were two false fireplaces facing each other. Above them hung mirrors in a Gothic frame. The vault of the ceiling in 1836 was painted by B. Medici also in the Gothic style.
Before the revolution, farm buildings were rented out to summer residents, while the main building remained in the Palace Administration. After the revolution, the building is also rented out by the Pavlovsk Museum.
In 1950, one of the tenants set up a soap making workshop in the pavilion, which damages the wall paintings more than the last war. In 1985, the Leningrad City Executive Committee transferred the building to the Popov Institute in order to restore the pavilion and organize a recreation center on the territory. The project was drawn up by “Lenproektrestavratsiya”.
In 1995, the building came under the control of the Russian Museum. In 1996, according to the PTAM project, S.M. Zeltsman, the pond was cleaned with the installation of a frame of concrete blocks around the entire perimeter, the bottom of the pond was paved with rubble stone.
In 2002, the restoration of the Farm pavilion began. Each stage of its reconstruction was coordinated with KGIOP. The task was set: to restore the facades for the Rossi period, the oak staircase inside, the decoration of the octagonal hall on the second floor.
Currently, unfortunately, there is no access for visitors to the territory of the Farm pavilion.