Skip to content
VASES-VICTIMS IN THE SUMMER GARDEN
In 1826, the rebuilding of the Peter’s time grotto into a garden pavilion began. We talked about the grotto of the Summer Garden in previous publications. Link: https://vk.com/rusmuseum.gardens?w=wall-6269987_4084/ ..
During the construction of the pavilion, the architect Carl Rossi, who developed the project for rebuilding the grotto into a pavilion, drew sketches of cast-iron vases for outdoor decoration. In 1827, the vases were made at the Alexandrovsky iron foundry.
When creating the vases, Rossi used the antique motifs of altars, which were used by the ancient Greeks and Romans to offer sacrifices to the gods. The altar, as a rule, was filled with hot coals, and spicy herbs were thrown on them by those asking the gods for mercy.
A total of 6 cast-iron vases were made, which were installed next to the pavilion. They were used as flowerpots for summer decoration. This can be seen in the lithograph by K. Schultz from the drawing by M. Meyer, created in 1840. Over time, four vases were moved to the stone terrace near the Swan Canal, and only two vases remained at the Coffee House.
All vases are still used as flowerpots. This year they are planted with ivy, begonia and dracaena.
Enjoy your walks in the gardens of the Russian Museum.
#gardensoftheRussianMuseum #MikhailovskyGarden #summerGarden #RussianMuseum #rusmuseum_gardens #igardens